Monday 17 December 2018

Beach life

A quick return to the shores of Lake Michigan as I continue my documentation of the American Mid-West during a few days in August, 2018...

Montrose Beach, Lake Michigan.
Via the Hasselblad, HP5+, RO9 developer.  On Ilford Fibre Classic paper, toned in thiourea. 8.5"x8.5"

Did you get the obscure reference to Robert Adams?  I have a real liking for his work, by the way.  At first glance his photographs might appear nothing terribly special, but stay a while and they have a habit of drawing you in.  Well, they do me...

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I like the framing and the positions of the people in the photo. I feel like I'm looking at a scene from the 1960s or 70s. I only knew one photo by Robert Adams before you shared that link. It's a photo of a town or suburb where all the houses are almost all completely the same. Looks like a company town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. It does kind of look like it could have taken anytime in the last 50 years, I agree. Strange when you think how other activities have changed in that time. I guess lying on the beach is still considered a worthwhile exercise :)

      Robert Adams is always described as documenting the American West at a time of great expansion. I don’t particularly like term ‘documentary photography’ - it sounds cheap and like you’re not really worthy of a place at the High Table. In some regards is not all photography documentary? Whatever...I like his work - a lot.

      Delete