Thursday 27 December 2018

A continental holiday

This shot is of my father, back in '76 when we holidayed on 'The Continent'. We had two big holidays when I was growing up - the first was in 1972 and I was a bit too young to remember much about that one.  That was when we had the Zodiac.  By the time of the second big excursion, in 1976, we had acquired a VW Caravette.  There was just about room for the 4 of us to sleep in it, but the bunk beds in the push-up roof weren't great for two strapping teenager boys, so my dad - who was good with his hands - made an extra bed for us out of plywood and steel.  The VW took us from the North of Ireland to the South of France, Switzerland and Germany before home again.  Both the outward and return trips were made with the help of the ferry to/from Scotland and then a long drive to/from Dover in the south of England.  Yes, you'd be correct in thinking my father liked to drive - a lot.

My father and the VW Caravette, somewhere in Switzerland, 1976.  Printed 2018, Adox MCC fibre paper, 12"x9.5"

I doubt either of these treks were much of a holiday for my mother, who of course had all the cooking to do.  And washing I guess. How she managed I know not - I guess she must have been super organised.  The amazing thing is I never remember any arguments - she just got on with it.  Well, once, somewhere in Germany I do remember a bit of a raised voice as dinner was being prepared, but it was over in a flash and then us males went for a walk and gave her some space.

I can't help smiling when I look at my father here.  His trousers look so short, pulled up as they are to get the air around his legs.  He was quite old when he married - in his late forties.  He would have been about 62 when this was taken and he's just staring into space, enjoying the hot sun.  I'd love to know what he was thinking about.  If I had to guess, I'd say he was thinking about the times when he used to ride his Triumph motorcycle down through France with his mates on his long summer holidays from teaching.  Long, long before marriage and parenthood came along to cramp his style...

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that Boris Johnson wants to build a bridge from Ireland to Scotland. Should make holidays easier . . . .
    I would love to drive around Europe in a camper van. Anywhere in a camper van, really.
    Vehicles like the VW van and the Austin Mini are popular with advertisers here in Korea. It's invented nostalgia because nobody could get a car here until the 90s, unless you were well-connected or rich. You couldn't even get out of the country to see a VW van in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh BJ likes to make the headlines, I think. I can’t see a bridge ever being built - there would be a lot of opposition all over Ireland.

      Your remark about cars and travel up to the ‘90s in S Korea is surprising, Marcus. We think of SK as akin to the West, since nearly all houses have TVs, washing machines & mobile phones made by Samsung. So...life there has changed a lot in the last 30 years, then!

      VW vans are so desirable here nowadays - cool, surf-chic, alternative. Old ones sell for a small fortune and are ‘done up’ by their new owners. We used ours as everyday transport as well as for trips...it worked well for us. I could easily be tempted myself :)

      Delete