Thursday 14 September 2023

Too close for comfort?

Now I like my graveyards, and have photographed many around The Liberties over the years, but I'm not sure I'd want to live this close to one:


Graveyard at St Mary the Virgin, Witney, Oxfordshire.
Pentax Spotmatic/28mm Takumar/FP4/Foma133.


I assume these cottages were originally for the officials of the Church, which lies just off to the right of this shot.  The church itself dates back to the 11th Century, and while I can't be sure, I reckon these cottages are also a right age.  Can you imagine walking back home on a dark and godless November evening, with mist and fog swirling around these old tombstones?  You'd need a strong constitution to keep your imagination in check as you fumble for your front door keys, trying not to hear those unusual sounds and whispers coming from you know where.

No comments:

Post a Comment