Monday 24 July 2023

Blowy Day

It was quite blowy last week when my wife and I were out and about along the Antrim coast.  This was an old favourite - Magheracross, just outside Portrush, with it's funky new viewing platforms.  The lady in the shot and what looked like her husband spotted me composing on the 'Blad and were waiting for me to finish, but I shouted my thanks over the wind and waved them on.  The gentleman stayed out of shot so I snapped up the lady on her own.  I had been hoping someone would be kind enough to give the shot some human interest.


Blad, 150mm Sonnar.  FP4+ on Ilford Art 300 paper.
Looking west towards Portrush East Strand and beyond to the hills of Inishowen in Donegal.

I found a nearly empty box of Ilford's luscious Art paper lying around so endeavoured to use up the last few sheets.  It's the world's only black and white, silver gelatin coated, 100% Cotton Rag darkroom paper, according to the blurb, and it has a lovely heavy feel and texture to it.  Its warm image tone and eggshell finish gave a lovely subtle rendition of the sky in this print.   

2 comments:

  1. The photo is good and the paper looks nice. The lab I use in Seoul has several rag options. Lovely stuff, but too expensive for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for me too, Marcus - I very much doubt I'll be replacing my stock of Art 300 paper when it's finished. 'Ordinary' darkroom paper is expensive enough.

      Delete