Thursday 30 March 2023

Mission Accomplished

We're back home now, after a busy few days in Oxford.  The good news is that Missy is on her feet again, so it's mission accomplished for my wife and I.  It's only another week until she's back with us for Easter and while we would have liked her to come home early with us we left that decision to her, and she opted to stay put.  She had a couple of group assignments to finish so we did what we could to help her (cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, with a lot of hugs and tlc thrown in) and then headed back to the Liverpool ferry.  Normally that's a 3 hour drive, or slightly less if you've a heavy right foot (I usually don't) but yesterday it took an hour just to get around Birmingham, so it turned into a 4-hour drive.  There were a lot of roadworks on the M42/M6 but the main problem seemed purely to be the volume of traffic - it was nose-to-tail at a snail's pace for that section of the journey.  To cap it all, there were few places to stop for a break.   There was one about 45 minutes out of Oxford, which was kind of too early, and then none until we were well past Birmingham, which meant a long time sitting in the car.  My hips were screaming at me by then, so I was glad to get a break.  Mind you, I'd forgotten how grim some of those older services are.  I'll spare you the gory details but let's just say whoever has the cleaning contract needs to seriously re-evaluate their commitment to the job.  We didn't hang around.

Thankfully the ferry was spotlessly clean and we were able to get a hot shower in our cabin, which helped the recovery process.  But it was an early start in Belfast (5:40am wake-up call) so both my wife and I are feeling a tad wrecked.

Here's another one from my walk around the Uni campus a couple of weeks ago:

I didn't realise it when I was framing this shot but looking through the building you can see the hand on the Arts Centre poster you might recall from a couple of weeks ago (here).  




4 comments:

  1. I like that photo a lot. All the busy bits of the scene are contained in just one small area. Interesting.
    When I first came to Korea, many of the service areas were pretty filthy. And most of them had squat toilets, which I hadn't learnt how to use at that point. It's very different now - the government had a big campaign and the washrooms are (usually) very clean. One on the way to Seoul from there has a garden and works of art on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus, appreciated.

      There's no excuse nowadays for smelly toilets - and both ladies and gents were awful. It's a long time since I've had reason to stop at a motorway service station in England and I thought they'd all been updated but these were just dreadful. Before we visited the toilets we shared a hot chocolate and and not-that-fresh piece of cake in one of their cafes - for £8. That ain't happening again!

      Delete