Monday 12 December 2022

Spuds

Spuds. Praties. Potatoes.  You can boil them, roast them, mash them, chip them, bake them and probably a whole lot more.  We Ulster folk make bread from them and call it fadge, or just potato bread/potato farl.  I guess it's the soil and the weather we get here in Ireland that makes them the number one food grown.  Maybe that's changed now, but certainly in the past it was potatoes all the way.  The farm next door was bringing the spuds in the other week and I wandered down with the camera, to see what I could see. 

Bringing in the spuds, 2022.  OM4ti/85mm Zuiko, HP5 on Ilford MG Classic paper.  
I think this might tone, which I'll try later and post the result if it's acceptable.

On another note, I mixed up a new batch of thiourea toner yesterday and toned a couple of prints I had lying around.  This one you might remember from the other day, which I think took it well:



If you're interested in such things, I like a subtle tone, not too heavy, so I mix quite a weak toner - this was 4g of Sodium Hydroxide in 700ml of water (plus 7.5g of the other ingredient, thiocarbamide).  You've got to remember to add the sodium hydroxide to water (not the other way around) and to use cold water, as the reaction is strongly exothermic.  I have my nitrile gloves, glasses and mask on, to be sure - I don't fancy any of this stuff splashing up around my face when I'm mixing it up.


2 comments:

  1. The results are very good, but the process is slightly worrying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm probably erring on the side of safety here, but that's maybe no bad thing.

      Delete