Thursday 22 December 2022

Herms, Heads, Philosophers, Emperors

Another lith print from Sunday's adventures in the dark room.  This shot was nearly very bad for my health.  I had just exited the entrance of Trinity College on Broad Street, Oxford (here) and thought the view of the Sheldonian Theatre with it's heads on plinths was worth wasting a frame on.  The Sheldonian was designed by a Mr Christopher Wren, apparently - in or around the year 1669.  I wonder what became of him?  Anyway, as I edged towards the street I guess I was a little distracted by the scene in front of me and before I knew it, a cyclist almost took me out.  A bit too close for comfort, it was.  I'm sure he saw me but he wasn't for swerving, no siree.  Anyway, I stepped back behind the safety of the bollards, tried not to think too much about it and got on with the shot:

Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford. 
OM4ti/24mm Zuiko, HP5 on Foma 131 and Moersch Easylith developer

This was another of those negatives which was not-very-interesting on regular paper, but the lith seemed to bring a little extra to it.  More about the heads on the plinths, or herms to give them their proper title, can be found here.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture. The lith is very pleasing. I would have swerved (courtesy to a fellow photographer) but maybe cursed you under my breath. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus, appreciated.

      Haha - yup, I guess that might have been called for.

      Delete