Monday 15 June 2020

Back in the workshop with Foma 133

Another print from 'the workshop' series, which I'm still playing around with (see here for an earlier version).  This was taken on the Hasselblad with the 60mm lens.  This was printed on Foma 133 Velvet fibre paper - a new one for me:


The workshop, old FP4+ on new Foma 133 Velvet fibre paper, 10"x8"

I'm always excited when I get a new paper in.  The Foma 133 is a chlorobromide warmtone paper and I used fairly dilute WT-10 developer (about 30ml developer in about 600ml water) which should accentuate the warmth.   Foma says it's 'specially designed for portraits and retro-style works'.  And the best bit?  It's supposed to be suitable for both lith and Bromoil processes.

Of course I had to see how it toned.  Interestingly, in the bleach it didn't appear to be reacting terribly enthusiastically, so I left it in a good bit longer than usual (I normally only bleach a short time before pulling the print so the overall effect isn't too noticeable).  But as you can see, after the print hit the toner (which again I have well diluted) the effect was strong.  I like it.  The scan does the print no justice whatsoever - the paper is really lovely with very rich, deep tones and when you get some light on it, it really sparkles.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely balanced composition. I wish I could see the paper in person. Sounds like good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. Setting up the table is quite difficult-the aim here was to arrange the articles in a fairly haphazard way, so it didn’t look too scripted.

      Delete