Monday 16 September 2019

The Sheep Man

The Sheep Man is a member of our little Photographic Club, although I struggle to see how he gets the time to pick up a camera, let alone come to our meetings.  At the minute he's lambing...well, not him per se of course - his sheep, or some of them, are lambing.  He breeds Poll Dorset sheep and he seems to know what he's about as he has had considerable success over the years.

Anyway, a while back (at the Ballymoney Show, you may recall), he invited me to come along and document (photographically, of course) the lambing and so for the last couple of weeks that's what I've been doing.

Here's the man himself, with one of his wee ones:


The Sheep Man, 2019.  On Ilford Warmtone Fibre paper


Perhaps needless to say, I know a great deal more about the lambing process now than I did two weeks ago.   He was bottle feeding this one as the mummy had three live lambs and since she only has the equipment to deal with two at a time it means three of them don't really get enough milk naturally - hence the need to supplement with a formula.  The plan was to wait until a sheep had only one live lamb and then to do a sneaky switcheroo so that both mummies ended up with two lambs each.  I was very fortunate in that on my second visit this is exactly what happened.  I'll shall reveal all next time.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great environmental portrait. I bet he'll be really pleased to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus. I'm going to mount it before giving it to him. I hope he likes it.

      Delete