Thursday 5 September 2019

Heat

My morning ritual in Valencia was to get up early, as the sun rose - by far the nicest time of the day, before the heat began to build.  My morning cup of tea with my book (more on that later) on the terrace was very pleasant.  In fact, given this morning's weather here in The Liberties (overcast, wet, windy and decidedly cool), I'd actually swap for for those first couple of hours in Valencia.  Unfortunately the shops there didn't open until 9 and by then it was already blisteringly hot.  But off I would trudge, through the back streets until I got to a Supermercado where I could get provisions for the day.  Breakfast & lunch we would normally do in the apartment and a couple of times we cooked in the evening too (probably the best food we ate in the week, to be honest).

This was the small park en route to the shops and this park of it I snapped on the M6 with a Voigtlander 21mm f/4 attached.  Most likely with an orange or red filter - I forget which.  A little beaut of a lens it is, by the way, tiny as tiny can be - thankfully with a rather large focus pin to help people like me with fat fingers...

Morning in Valencia, on Ilford Warmtone RC paper

The book.  Oh yes, the book.  In recent times I've developed an interest in the lives and antics of some of our most famous despots.  I think it started with Stalin, then moved on to Mao but when in Spain I thought it only right and proper to tackle the Spanish Civil War and Franco.  The particular book I had with me was The Spanish Holocaust by Paul Preston.  An eye-catching title, for sure.  The subtitle is Inquisition and Extermination in Twentieth Century Spain.  It's a meticulously researched book which documents the atrocities on both sides (Republician and Falangist/Francoist).  And there were a great many atrocities to document, that's for sure.  It's not an easy read.  It's a very uncomfortable read, perhaps because it's geographically closer to home than Stalin and Mao, and similarly, not that long ago.  By the end I was wondering if Spain at that time was inhabited by some sort of alien species, since the bloodthirstiness of a great many people was off the scale.  It made me grateful for being born and growing up here in Ireland - which for sure had (and still has) its problems, but nothing like Spain in the '30s.



6 comments:

  1. That's a great composition. Plants are difficult to line up. How much shifting left, right, forwards, and back did you have to do before everything fell nicely into place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. In answer to your question - not much at the time of taking, but a little in the darkroom! As usual my horizon was way off - most noticeable in the lamp-post centre left. It's cropped a bit, therefore. I need a sticky on the back of my cameras - 'Move in!'. I'm getting better, though - I don't crop nearly as much as I used to.

      Delete
  2. I think my head must be heavier on one side, because my horizons are often off. My Nikon D810 has a virtual horizon level you can turn on in the viewfinder. It's a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well that would be a useful addition to any camera I use too, Marcus! But I have to sort things out in the darkroom...it's not too hard, just a simple adjust to the easel, but you have to remember to do it otherwise, well, you know how it comes out ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely light and shadows in this print, Michael.
    I have wondered more than once about what happened to us norwegians after the vikings and all that razzamatazz back in the days. I mean at some point we must have decided to never again rise our voice or hit anyone in the head with heavy things, ever. A peaceful bunch we seem to be these days, at least compared to some of our neighbors around the block. None mentioned in particular of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy.

      Yes a few years ago "your lot" weren't the most popular guys in the North East of England, I think it's fair to say. But then again, once the bloodshed subsided it appears there was a lot of integration with the local population and for sure you had a major influence on the culture of these islands for many many centuries afterwards.

      Unfortunately it's in the nature of us humans to fight with pretty much everyone else around at times. Maybe you guys got that feeling out of your system all those centuries ago. It would be nice to think we could all get to that stage, one day.

      Delete