Monday 23 September 2019

Clouds over Benbane Head

Looking West towards Benbane Head from Ballintoy.  The setting sun was breaking through a very thick layer of cloud and just for a few moments the scene was worth a stop and a stare.  The subject brightness range was immense - I spot-metered the brightest part and opened up a couple of stops, letting the shadows fall wherever.  In the darkroom I didn't want the whole thing to turn to black, so I concentrated on getting the little wispy cloud in the centre of the shot more or less right.  Then I burnt in the light part of the sky along the top a bit, since the detail was in the negative.  Benbane Head itself is almost lost along the bottom of the print, just about visible.

Clouds over Benbane Head

Via the 'Blad with the 250mm lens, HP5+/ID-11 on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper.

3 comments:

  1. Very dramatic. I'm suddenly curious to see what that area looks like in colour. Don't have a roll of Velvia lying around, do you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe it I actually do have one 35mm Velvia left in the fridge - and it really needs using up soon. I bought 4 rolls about 4 years ago and this last one's been lying around for about 2 years. You'll be the first to see the results, Marcus ;)

      Delete