Thursday 2 May 2019

Side by side

Another one from the series of shots depicting the changing landscape around the North Coast of Ulster. This one taken at Ballyreagh, between Porstewart and Portrush - on the 'Blad and HP5+:

Ballyreagh, 2019.  Adox MCC paper
Number 15 there, on the left, typifies the changes that are happening before us in this part of the world.  On the right we have a 1930s style bungalow, which is still a common sight around here.  Actually this one looks in better shape than a lot of them, to be fair.  I'm sure there used to be another, very similar one where Number 15 now stands, with it's in-your-face cubist design, all wood and glass and not a curve in sight.  And definitely no chimney-pots - open fires replaced by underfloor heating. I'm not criticising the design of it, I'm just remarking on the differences, that's all.

Come back in 20 years - probably less - and they'll all be like Number 15.  I think I safely say there'll be very, very few of the old bungalows left standing.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very good series. I hope there are more. The house on the left looks something like what's going up here recently. Though architects here prefer brown or black aluminium (or whatever metal they use). Better than concrete, anyway . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus - appreciated. The plan is for there to be more, yes. I would like a decent set of shots on a single theme and I think there is mileage in this one.

      Delete
  2. Important doucmentation you do here, my friend!
    Oh, and of course the architects over here have been joining the very same school as your guys over there... and in S Korea for that matter.
    Then again we should of course be aware of the fact that the world is changing all the time, ever so slightly but still changing. What people used to like back in the days is not what everyone likes today, and I understand that tiny little fact.
    It's the same with photography... most people will never understand what dinosaurs like you and me are going on about. Not until we're dead and gone of course, but then they might see the light. Some of them, at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get back to it, Roy - now that the NW200 has ended and the fences and road decoration have been removed there are opportunities to get out and do some more snapping around the place. As you say, it's changing all the time and sometimes we need to look at things with fresh eyes to see the change.

      You are indeed correct there! Some of my Photographic Club members suspect I'm a sandwich or two short of a picnic, I'm sure - but I enjoy the banter with them and secretly I think they do, too. There are actually two people in the club actively looking for darkroom equipment right now and have asked me for help in getting them started, so Who knows, perhaps in a few years there will be a small group of us analog workers in the The Liberties. That would be fun!

      I can imagine someone in the future happening upon a huge stack of mounted prints and wondering 'What in heck are these about?' At least it might give them something to think about for a moment or two...



      Delete