Thursday 23 May 2019

More lith, more Slavich

Another lith print from my Belfast Train Trip.  This one as we were coming out of Belfast.  The train was moving fast but as the giant cranes from the Harland&Wolff shipyards came into view I thought there might have been something there so I wasted a whole frame of HP5+:

Belfast, 2019.  Lith print on Slavich Unibrom paper
The two big cranes you can just about see in the middle of the frame are called Samson and Goliath, by the way.  And you probably know Harland & Wolff shipyards are where the Titanic was built.  And if you don't know what the Titanic was, well, Where have you been? (It was that big ship that Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet had something to do with. I think she was the Captain and he the First Mate, or something like that, although since I didn't see the film I could be wrong).






4 comments:

  1. She was a coal shoveller. Great film about the maritime engines.
    I've visited dockyards here in Korea. The cranes are very impressive. I'm not sure if they have names or not.
    Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooo...you're pulling my leg, I think, Marcus. I can't see Ms Winslet shovelling coal, I just can't.

      Delete
  2. So, you're on the Slavich wagon as well Michael?! I just got a couple of hundred sheets of 18x24 papers in the mail from them, and I just simply love it! It's not for all types of negs for sure, but when you find the right ones and wants a lot of extra and unpredictable stuff in there you won't find a better suited paper I would say.
    I love this shot, and the cranes and everything else inside it.
    Your text has a few obvious errors in it as Ms. Winslet was the Chief Wiper on board and Mr. di Caprio the coal shuffler. Marcus is absolutely right about it being the one film to see if you like to learn everything about marine engines and anything else marine for that sake. It's simply the best "how to" movie out there and of course obligatory to see multiple times at school before you're qualified a marine engineer. Can't figure out how I still managed to get my license...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of hundred sheets should last you a week or two, Roy ;) Do you freeze it? Or will it keep OK do you think. I haven't printed with it for about a year - as you say, it doesn't suit every negative. But it is a lovely paper and as you say, you never quite know what you're going to get before you get it :)

      Perhaps I should watch Titanic sometime, to get a feel for what you get up to on board the Subsea Viking - I'm sure it must be pretty similar... ;)

      Delete