Wednesday 25 October 2017

Putting my feet up

Another one from The Archives.  Initially I thought this was me, but on closer inspection I think it's The Brother - we were pretty similar-looking at a certain point in our lives.  In which case the title should be 'Putting his feet up' but we'll not split hairs.


Most likely printed on Kodak Veribrom paper - grade 2, since that seems to be the most popular among the boxes in which the prints have been resting for the last 35+ years.  Strangely I can't place the shot, even with the flowery curtains, which look to be 1960s vintage.  A good forensic detective would be able to identify the trainers from the pattern on the sole, but unsurprisingly I haven't a clue.  I remember Dunlop Green Flash being very popular around that time, but I think they had a honeycomb pattern on the soles, so if I'm right that rules them out.

The recumbent pose is funny, as I'm pretty sure we would have been told fairly sharpish to get those feet of the sofa had an adult been around, so it's safe to assume The Brother and I were on our own when this shot was taken.  Camera would have been either a Zenit B or more likely the OM-1 which came on the scene around 1974.  Film was probably FP4, which was our go-to film in those days - nowadays I seem to been favouring HP5+, although the Ilford stuff is getting expensive compared to other film on the market.  I might have a try at Fomapan, since that seems to get a good press, particularly when developed in Rodinal, or the modern equivalent.

3 comments:

  1. I would have been skinned for wearing my shoes inside the house and then having the nerve to put them up on the furniture. I didn't come to photography until later in life and my parents didn't take that many photos, so I envy people like yourself who have many photos of their childhood and youth. Great photo, by the way.I like the expression on your brother's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew up in the country, Marcus, so shoes off was never a thing we did in our house. 'Good clean dirt' was the phrase I often heard :)

      I get a lot of pleasure in looking at these old prints that my brother and I did as teenagers. And my mother stashed away dozens of old negatives - some that go back to the 1930s - which I really enjoy printing from time to time. Just family stuff, but great to have images of people who are no longer with us. I wish I'd taken a lot more photographs in my 20s and 30s but my career as an academic was all-consuming.

      Delete
  2. I really like this one for some odd reason :))
    And yeah, give Fomapan a go as well. Great film with nice and traditional grain. Some favor the 200 ASA thing, but for myself I seem to struggle a bit more than just a little bit on the developing bit of that one. Nice when you hit it's soft spot, but more often than not I seem to end up with the negs a bit on the thinner side of my comfort zone.
    That said, you might get it absolutely right every time.
    The 400 is a tad grainy, but I keep on telling myself everything comes at a cost...
    Just ordered a bulk roll of Fomapan 100 and the Fomapan Retro 320. They were out of stock on the 320 thing, but I'll try to get it a bit later.
    Oh... and I also bought a pack of 4x5 Fomapan 100 and Retropan 320. More about that over at my own place a bit later :))

    ReplyDelete