Wednesday 16 August 2017

Side-street, Porto

Just off Rua des Flores where our aparthotel was:

HP5+, Ilford Warmtone RC paper 10"x8"
As you can see there are a lot of ups-and-downs in Porto...rather too many, truth be told, when the old legs are used to the flat of Portstewart Strand but there you go.

Talking of flat, this print is a bit flat, but I find myself increasingly rebelling against the prevailing necessity for every snap to rendered at the highest contrast possible.  I blame Salgado but it's probably just jealously on my part.  It's not Salgado's fault, of course - if anything, it's more that most images are being viewed on computer screens these days...that backlit technology sure makes for snappy images but when you've a B&W print in your hand, or on the wall, you want to see some mid-tones.  Well I do, anyway.  Not that the print above is the finest example of mid-tones and I'm quite aware that I'm rambling incoherently so I'll stop now.

2 comments:

  1. The high-contrast trend is worth considerable comment.

    I flip through Instagram (I'm @mobilene) a lot, and when I do so mindlessly I find myself tapping the heart on images that have high contrast. The contrast makes the photo, even of a banal subject, pop. I assume it is such for most people.

    But so much online photo browsing, like on Instagram, rewards mindless flipping through photos.

    I find myself even pandering to that a little in the subjects I shoot and the photos I choose to share even on my blog.

    But that doesn't mean that high-contrast photos are all photography should be about. This makes me want to be more intentional about visiting photography exhibits when local museums have them. To experience printed work more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a local exhibition recently - all old-school darkroom prints.It struck me just how many were bereft of the magical 'full black' tone and yet they were superb.

      Delete