Monday 31 October 2022

Inside Derry's Guildhall

The Guildhall in Derry~Londonderry is really something - and it has a great permanent exhibition on the Plantation of Ulster, where large swathes of land were given over to the London Guilds (Drapers, Clothworkers, Vintners, Mercers etc) on the understanding they would invest and build a brighter future for everyone.  It didn't quite work out like that, of course, but that's another story for another day (and probably somewhere else other than this place).  Anyway, I took The Brother and his daughter up to the city for a day and we did the Guildhall, the Walls and Badger's Bar & Restaurant for a spot of lunch.  I had the OM4ti with me and these handheld shots were taken with the Zuiko 24mm, on HP5+ rated at 800:

Norman & Beard Pipe Organ in the Guildhall, from 1891.  A thing of beauty it is, too. 
On Ilford MG Classic paper.

The Organ dominates one end of the Great Hall and the other end is given over to a decent amount of stained glass windows:

Stained Glass Windows of the Great Hall. 
The detail and colour of the glass is impressive - but you'll have to take my work for that. 

In other news, both my wife and I have been a bit under the weather recently, with what we assumed was a bad cold/flu.  My wife had a bad head all week whereas I was just a bit under the weather, feeling a little tired and with a bit of a cough.  We never even thought about that-other-thing, until someone suggested we do a test and sure enough, both of us tested positive.  My wife has been hit a lot harder than me but I had my last booster in May, whereas my wife's was almost a year ago, so that may well explain it.  Either way, we seem to be on the mend, albeit slowly.  As Covid began to spread, I was pretty sure we couldn't avoid getting it at some point, but the goal was always to try for that not to happen in the first wave so Mission Accomplished with regard to that.  Hopefully we'll bounce back without any lasting issues.  

No comments:

Post a Comment