Monday 24 October 2022

Dunluce Castle and Benbane Head

Looking East from the new viewing platform at Magheracross - the ruins of Dunluce Castle in the foreground and Benbane Head (Causeway territory) in the distance:

The view changes, not surprisingly, depending on the light and on the day we were there, the light was good.  There was a fierce wind, mind you, but that's hard to capture on film when there aren't any trees or flags around. 
Via the 'Blad/150mm Sonnar, FP4+, Ilfotec HC and Foma 133 paper.

 Apparently there was a castle here in the 13th Century but the ruins you see here date from the 16th&17th Centuries.  Dunluce served as the seat of the Earls of Antrim - either the McQuillans or the McDonnells depending on when you happened to pass by.  Eventually, when the money dried up, it was abandoned to the elements - various bits fell into the sea and stones were scavenged for other projects.  At one time, due to marriage, it was part-owned by Winston Churchill but he gave his share to the Northern Irish government in 1928.  I had a walk around it a few years ago and to be honest there isn't much to see, but it's a pleasant enough place to dander about, sit on the stones and wonder what life must have been like back in the day.  Fairly brutal, I'd imagine.




3 comments:

  1. Maybe a nice place for a picnic? When the wind's not trying to throw you off the cliff, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be! And yes, you'd have to keep tight grip of your sandwiches.

      Funny how when I was young you would see people picnic-ing everywhere. I guess there was no money around for 'eating in' and buying pre-made sandwiches was unheard of when you could take your own from home.

      Nowadays everyone goes into the coffee shops for breakfast, lunch or brunch. I wonder if that will change once the current cost of living crisis starts to hit home. I was reading this morning that a cup of tea in Dublin is now over 4 Euros. I paid £2 for one the other day in a service station just outside Belfast and being the tight Northern Irish man that I am I couldn't help thinking Now did I really need that? I know they've overheads and staffing costs but at the end of the day that's £2 for a teabag in a paper cup of hot water...

      Delete
    2. Getting some fried chicken or a pizza was a rare treat when I was young. Road trips meant sandwiches and biscuits from home. When I first came to Korea, I ate out almost every day because it was dirt cheap and delivery was free. Not now. It's back to sandwiches from home . . .

      Delete