Monday 8 August 2022

Wedding on the Prom

Saturday turned out to be quite a pleasant day here in The Liberties, and even better I had a date with Missy for lunch (brunch for her) in Portstewart.  The morning was quite cool, though, so I changed into a heavier shirt for our seaside promenade.  Turned out to be the wrong move, as I was overly warm in the afternoon sun.  Ah well. Unfortunately half of Northern Ireland had the same idea (Sun! Portstewart Prom!!  Yaaayyy!!!) but as that was fairly predictable I took the 'Blad along with me in the hope of getting some people snapped up.  

Our lunch was mediocre (poached eggs on sourdough bread, with avocado for moi and a granola berry yoghurt concoction for the young 'un, in case you were wondering.  The sourdough came on the side, the eggs sitting a bit lost looking on the plate and the avocado in a separate dish, so it was a kind of DIY put-it-together yourself job.  The eggs were ever-so-slightly overcooked and as a result it could have done with a little hollandaise or something.  The other thing that annoyed me (yep, I know, I'm easily annoyed) was that the cafe was one of those places that you come across now and again which guards the napkins like they are far too expensive to put out with the cutlery.  So you go and pick up your knife and fork, salt&pepper from the side and when you get to the table and put it all down you have to hope that someone has cleaned the surface properly.  Even worse, when the food arrived, it came with...yup, no napkins.  So then you have to find someone to ask.  Lord Almighty are the margins really that tight?  They're disposable napkins, I'm sure no-one steals handfuls of them...

Anyway, after lunch we had the usual dander along the Prom.  The place was busy, which was good, as no-one paid too much attention to the weird old guy with the big boxy camera.  Up at the Western End there was a wedding going on, in the Star of the Sea RC Chapel.  It looked like the main business had concluded, as there was a mighty thong exiting the Church and doing what guests do - mill around, talk to each other and wonder how long until they're getting fed.  Being Portstewart Prom, there was plenty of onlookers and so I did the decent thing and joined them.  

'Is she out yet'?  Waiting for the bride, Portstewart Prom, August 2022. 
Blad/50mm Distagon, FP4+ in HC-110, on Foma 133.



2 comments:

  1. Great picture. The space between the two ladies on the right is a nice frame for the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The space/frame thing hadn't registered with me but I see what you mean. At one point the ladies realised I was behind them with a camera and moved out of the way, but I waved them back in and muttered something about 'long lens, no need to move'. A bit sneaky but I couldn't very well say that actually it was them that I wanted to photograph.

      Delete