Monday 18 January 2021

Winter Sun

The sun was breaking and entering the other morning and casting rather interesting shadows all over the house.  I snapped this one up on the 'Blad on good old HP5+:


Winter shadows on the wall, on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper, thiourea toned.

The shadows are from plants we have in our porch and were nicely diffused before hitting the wall inside the house.  The curved (and carved) wooden thing is the top of an antique chaise lounge that sits in our hallway.  I say antique, but really I just mean old. I can't decide if I like or or hate it but it's been there for the best part of 20 years so I guess it must be OK.  Like a lot of our furniture it came from an auction and I remember the 'Man with a Van' we got to transport it home.  Him and his sidekick carried it in and his mate remarked  how nice the piece was...the main man replied 'I think it's hideous'.  That was such a hilarious remark to make in front of me - I nearly laughed out loud on the spot.  I mean, I admire his honesty and all that but it showed an interesting lack of diplomacy on his part - particularly when we were the guys paying him for his work.  It's strange what our brains decide to remember and forget - some throwaway comment from 20 odd years ago. You'd think something more important would have come in and taken its place by now, wouldn't you...


3 comments:

  1. I can't tell from the photo if the chaise lounge is hideous or not, but it makes a good abstract photo.
    I remember almost nothing of what I learned in school, but I remember some cruel remarks by classmates. Maybe my brain focuses on the negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus.

      I wonder if it's in our nature to focus on the negative - perhaps that's how we learn best. Not necessarily to please others, but maybe simply to reduce the likelihood of negative comments. Or maybe that's the same thing. I have no idea what I'm talking about...

      I haven't kept in touch with many classmates from my school days - glad, in the most part, to move on. The friends I made at Uni have been much more permanent in my life.

      Delete
    2. Improving to reduce the chance of negative comments sounds like a reasonable idea.
      Since moving to Korea and moving from from job to job here I've lost most of the people in my past. A bit sad.

      Delete