Thursday 7 January 2021

The Rock

 Not, not that Rock - this rock, at Ballintoy: 


Delta 3200 on MGV paper

I wonder what caused the crack near the top?  Must have been a pretty large force - but not large enough to separate it into two.

I like the two figures way in the distance on the right, which give the shot some perspective.  Mind you, these days you'd be hard pushed to get a shot in Ballintoy without someone in it.  I suppose it's good that folk are out enjoying our beautiful landscape, so I can't complain too much (although I do, regularly, as you know).  I just wish they weren't there at the same time as me.  Maybe I need to get up earlier...

Ain't the square format just perfect?  Sometimes when I print 35mm I think how unnaturally stretched it looks.  4x5 I can cope better with, I think, but the square does it for me.  I could easily shoot square all the time.


5 comments:

  1. Come to Korea for a week and you'll quickly appreciate how empty your landscape looks. :)
    My favourite format is 5:4, but I don't currently have a camera that does it. I don't mind 35mm, but it is a bit long, as you say. Especially when vertical. My Fujifilm has 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1, but not 5:4. I wish they would put it in, but maybe they are hoping people will upgrade to their medium format cameras to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I know I'm pretty blessed with our landscape. As you know, wherever we live, the trick is to keep seeing it with new eyes. Not always easy.

      So when you choose a particular format, does the viewfinder change appropriately, so you are able to see and compose in the format? If so, that's pretty cool.

      Delete
    2. It's a mirrorless camera so the viewfinder is basically a computer monitor. The screen changes when you select different formats. Very handy. Even on Nikon DSLRs, parts of the viewfinder will be greyed out to show what won't appear on your final image.

      Delete
    3. Nice. When you come across a discussion of rangefinder cameras it's always mentioned that one of the benefits of framelines inside the vf is that you can see what/who is just about to enter the shot. That plus shooting with your right eye and keeping both eyes open to see the scene as it develops in front of you. Both seem reasonably plausible, if a tad forced, but when you get two framelines inside the vf it's just clutter. I think the Zeiss Ikon had (has) a better vf system that those German things.

      Delete
    4. I guess a rangefinder viewfinder is good if you are doing street photography and you are waiting for people to enter the scene. But I never found that to be a problem with a regular viewfinder if I kept one eye open.
      The Zeiss Ikon only showed one set of framelines at a time, so it wasn't cluttered. Sometimes they didn't show up that well if you weren't looking through the viewfinder at exactly the right angle. The 28mm framelines were useless because I wear glasses.

      Delete