Monday 25 January 2021

In the soup

Soup mix is a favourite of ours at this time of year - it does make for a rather nutritious vegetable soup and even better, it takes a decent snap as well:


Soup mix: pearl barley, lentils, split peas in 2021.  On the 'Blad, Ilford Delta 3200 printed on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper and toned in home-brew thiourea.

I wasn't sure about the sunlight hitting the bottom left of the print but I left it in as it goes some way to balance the top right of the shot.  I was happy with the toning on this print, which adds texture and depth to the bowl in particular.

And now the most important part: the soup.  Dice two carrots, one leek, two celery sticks (preferably from the centre, with leaves attached) and sweat them in a pan (lid on) for about 5 mins.  Then add a couple of pints of stock (veg, of course - but you can use chicken broth or ham stock if you prefer), about 6 dessertspoons of the soup mix and a good handful of chopped parsley.  Season well and simmer for about 2 hours.  Top up with water as required (the barley mix absorbs a lot of liquid as it cooks).  And as all good recipes would say, Serve with fresh crusty bread.  The bread is optional, of course - the soup is enough on its own. 

I think I could have this for lunch every day during the winter months and not tire of it.  In reality, it gets made once a week and usually lasts for 3-4 days.  

2 comments:

  1. I really like this. All those circles . . . .
    Pea Soup Day for my parents was Toast Day for me. I hated pea soup and my mother (rightly) refused to cook something separate for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very happy with this print.

      Haha Pea Soup probably wouldn’t have excited me too much either in my younger days. Missy is veggie (more pescatarian to be truthful) and that pretty much dictates what we all eat. No bad thing but occasionally my wife and I will cook ourselves something else ;)

      Delete