Thursday 14 May 2020

Super 8

Hands up who remembers Super 8 film?  Not me, by the way - I was never very interested in moving pictures.  This gear came with some other bits and pieces from a local School clear-out a while back.  I messed about in the darkroom yesterday morning printing out the film rebate:

On old Kentmere fixed grade paper
The print isn't very well balanced and I should have used a smaller aperture to get more in focus but there you go.  I think the scene probably has enough merit to try it again.

The mechanics of printing out the rebate are as follows.  The negative strip went in the glass 5x7 carrier so the the rebate would show and I used a 90mm lens to get sufficient coverage.  Then give the whole thing a couple of seconds at grade 5 before masking off the rebate and then giving the rest of it a few more seconds at grade 1.  It's not fine art - it's just a bit of fun during the lockdown...

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. (Deleted in error when removing spam) - Original comment from Marcus Peddle: "My first though in seeing this was, "Where did he get a poster sized piece of film to put all those things on?" and then I realised that it's a print of a complete bit of film. Wow, very well done. Clever technique. I thought the camera and other things are pretty well balanced. Maybe take out the splicer instruction sheet because it's quite a bit brighter than the other things? Anyway, I am enjoying your still-life series. Very interesting."

      Delete
    4. My reply: "I think you're right about taking out the paper sheet, Marcus - it adds to the unbalance in the scene. The Still Life series has some legs on it, I think - it's perfect for the lockdown we are in at the minute."

      Delete