Thursday 21 May 2020

Still Life - Oil Can

As y'all know, since I'm still kind of housebound, I'm exploring the intimate world of Still Life.  Fortunately, thanks to good old mum, I've a ton of stuff to amuse myself with.  Like this old oil can, for example:

Oil Can, 2020.  Old FP4+ on Barclay fixed grade paper

I acquired some old FP4+ film a while back - no date on it, but from the packaging I would say at least 15 years old.  No idea how it was stored, but I doubt very much it was in a fridge.  Anyway, in RO9 at 1:25 dilution for 9 minutes and it came out looking as fresh as anything, if a bit harder to flatten.

I had loaded it in the 'Blad and set this oil can up to photograph.  It's actually a dark red in colour, so I used a deep red filter to lighten the tone somewhat.  Lighting was natural light from a side window (it's all set up in the garage) and I also used a Softar 1 filter.  The softar was designed to take away some of the insane sharpness you can get with the Zeiss lenses (yes, I know - the irony of spending a fortune on sharp glass and then using a soft filter) and was particularly welcome for portraits.  I was rating the FP4 at 80iso and exposure was around the 1-2 seconds. 

I was intrigued how the Softar would work in a Still Life setting - it did the job rather well, I thought.  If anything ,the halo of light around the handle is slightly more pronounced in the print than this scan.

4 comments:

  1. What an outstanding image. I love the grittiness of it, and the way the print renders the handle makes it almost look like I could reach out and grab it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful light. I never would have guessed the can was red.I hope you can get out soon to make other kinds of photos, but I'm looking forward to seeing more still lifes in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. It's looking like Still Lifes for the foreseeable, I'm afraid. Hopefully enough variety to keep my legion of readers interested...

      Delete