Thursday 27 June 2019

The Recumbent Cyclist

My friend - let's call her M-T, is a keen cyclist but since she has rods up her back (car accident - long story - another time maybe) she uses a recumbent bicycle.  As they say around there this thing is Some job, hi and I'm told (by her partner, who uses a 'normal' bike) that she can get serious speed up on it.  Anyway, here she is at the start of the Charity Ride precursor to the North West 200 Motorbike Races:

M-T, May 2019.  On Adox paper.
M-T is an interesting lady.  Ex rally-driver, academic and entrepreneur I think it's fair to say she doesn't let the grass grow under her feet.  She's half the person she used to be, mind you, and there lies another story.  For years she was - how shall we put this, on the large side and had a whole dose of health-related problems.  But she healed herself - literally, by doing her own research.  She went up quite a few blind alleys along the way, mind you, and I recall a time when every month she would be talking about another possible syndrome she might have.  Lesser people might have given up but eventually M-T identified a food intolerance she had, which was inhibiting her body's ability to process the drugs she was taking for thyroid malfunction.  I hadn't seen her for a while and one day I called to see what the craic was.  I was talking to her partner when the door opened and she strode purposefully in - didn't speak and walked right up to me.  I nearly dropped to the floor in shock - she was, literally, half the size she had been.  It was one of those moments where you're not sure you're still talking to the same person.  Incredible.  I must have known her for 10 years and to see her looking so different took some getting used to.  A lesson to us all to - as Journey sang all those years ago - Don't stop believin'...

3 comments:

  1. A crackin' photo, and some wise and good old words and a nice story to put it all into perspective as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - I like this one, too. I've promised a print to M-T and you've reminded me to make good on that.

      Delete
  2. She will be most happy for sure! And luckily you know where to show it off first, of course?!

    ReplyDelete