Tuesday 16 October 2018

Liam

Another shot taken in The Red Lion, Lincoln Park, Illinois - the favoured watering-hole of DePaul University's Philosophy Department.  This is Liam - a good Dublin man who has made his home in Chicago and teaches all sorts of interesting stuff to DePaul students.  At the start of the evening Liam sounded like an American, but after talking to me (and The Brother) for a few hours he was pure Dublin again.  Order was restored and all was well with the world again :)

Liam in The Red Lion, Lincoln Park, IL

Another one on Foma paper via lith developer, if you care about such things. And yes I know Liam's face is not in focus - I seemed to have nailed his pint glass, though! Ah sure it adds to the mystery of the man, eh?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you were thirsty when you made the photo and your focussing hand followed your eye to the glass. :)
    I lose my Newfounfland dialect when I'm here in Korea. I have to speak classroom English to my students and standard Canadian English to people who aren't familiar with eastern Canadian English. My accent comes back when I speak to my family on Skype and it REALLY came back when I visited my home town last summer.
    I met an Irish feller one year here in Korea and, because the Newfie dialect is a bit like Irish, we both stopped speaking standard English and slipped into our native accents. We enjoyed it, but sometimes the people around us found the speech a bit hard to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I reckon you could be right there about the pint glass, Marcus!

      Accents are strange things. Your situation is not unlike mine a few years ago. When I left Ireland for Uni in the South of England in the early 80s I had (obviously) a very strong accent. In those days it was not cool to be anything Irish so I lost it quickly, just to fit in. Fast forward 20 years and I returned to Ireland for good. About 2 months after I returned I spoke to my old Department Secretary on the phone - she could barely believe it was me...said "You've gone all Irish!". Nowadays in the UK accents are much more accepted, even encouraged. Quite right, too.

      Delete
  2. My dad's West Virginia accent only ever came out after a couple hours of speaking with his West Virginia family, so I relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine a thousand different accents in the US, Jim - given the size of the place! Around here, accents change on a 5-mile basis...or did, when the small villages had more of an identity than they do now.

      Delete