Wednesday 28 March 2018

I think I got there...

You might recall that I was faffing about with a certain negative a week or so ago - the one of Rita Ray of The Darts, a group that came to Portrush a few years ago (1978, so not that long ago in the Grand Scheme of Things).  Well you might be glad to know that I did eventually get back in the darkroom to test my theory relating to the dullness of the print after drying (when compared to the wet print, that is).  I reckoned that about a half a stop less under the enlarger and - after exhaustive tests (well, I was exhausted by that stage anyway) - about a half-a-grade harder in contrast would give me what I was after...a print with a bit of sparkle to it.

I think I got there:




So these were the best of the crop, after drying and mounting.  On the left we have a 'vanilla' print.  On the right, one after a dunk in Pot Ferri for about a minute, re-fixing, re-washing and then a further dunk in hot Selenium (1+5) followed by another short wash.  Not sure which I prefer - the one on the left has a bit more depth to it, I think but the one on the right certainly has brighter highlights.  The forearm needs a little toning down (you can almost hear those fingers clicking as she belts out her notes) but other than that I'm pretty with things as they stand.  So...that's the end of Dear Rita for now, folks - you'll be glad to hear I bet! 

And Easter - and April - is nearly upon us!  How did that happen, eh?  Still cold as a cold place here in The Liberties, mind you, but the evenings are longer and there's generally a bit more light around the place, which is very welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like two great prints for sure, Michael. Your half(ish) stop for dry-down and a touch harder contrast seems to really have done the trick here.
    I'm back into business, sort of... after a very long time away from this place. There's been the old issues again, but I might be able to post something one of the days with some luck. Not that I have much new to show off being where I am, but still it would be nice to have something put out there for the huge masses of followers :)
    Anyway, it's great to be able to check your place and to throw in a comment again. Keep 'em coming, mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy and glad you back in the mix. Whatever you write&show it will be read, trust me!

      Delete