Monday 5 March 2018

A weak solution

So finally I got round to using some of those raw chemicals I purchased a while back.  The snow and ice were thick on the ground last week, which meant I was virtually housebound.  I had a few prints that I thought needed a little something to inject some life into them so after reading a couple of chapters of Tim Rudman's books on printing and toning I mixed up a solution of 10% Potassium Ferricyanide, or Pot Ferri as it is known in the trade.  The crystals are a lovely crimson colour, in case you were wondering and it's not as dangerous as the name might suggest (unless mixed with strong acid, I understand - like all chemicals caution is required). Anyway, I started by dabbing some very dilute solution onto a few prints and at first glance it appears to do exactly what it says on the tin - it lightens the highlights significantly.  So far so good.

Then I remembered I had this print lying about that I'd done months ago, on Foma fibre paper.  The print was horrible - just murk & dark. Anyway, nothing to lose here I thought so I dunked it (the whole print) into a bath of weak Pot Ferri solution to see what happened.  By weak I mean about 5ml of the 10% solution mixed with close to a litre of water.  It took a while (generally a good thing - easier to lift the print out before it runs away with you, although I understand redevelopment is possible if that happens and too much of the print is bleached out) but by the end I was impressed. 

Firstly, the print in its original form - not one you've seen on this place before, for obvious reasons:


No redeeming features whatsoever.  So, a dunk in the magic mix and here's what it looks like afterwards:


Now granted it's not going to win any awards, but that's not the issue. The point is, the print has got a whole lot more interesting that it was - it's got some light-ish bits where previously there were none and there's even a suggestion of a highlight or two. Given the original print that's a heck of a  transformation.  Mr Rudman tells us that virtually all his prints get the Pot Ferri treatment in one form or another.  It is sometimes referred to as liquid light. Interesting stuff.

3 comments:

  1. It sure works that Potassium Ferricyanide powdery stuff you have played with here. As you now know I've been messing a bit around with the same thing myself lately, with the only difference I did not listen to others before throwing my print into the bath. No reason for me to explain the effect came a bit as a shock thrown towards me as the print more or less totally disappeared in a matter of only a very few seconds. At least I learned it the hard way that this stuff is rather effective and should have been quite a bit diluted before I tested it. Anyway, it's great stuff used in the right way I believe and I'm soon off to the island to try it out a bit further. Only have to get into town to have a few shots of vaccine injected into my arm before I head outwards.
    Great story with a brilliant example of some good use of Pot Ferri my friend, and I'm looking forward to see more nice stuff coming out of your darkroom soon.
    Luckily I'm heading for the island with a couple of (hopefully) working light bulbs for the enlarger in my baggage, so stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - I'm sure you were somewhat surprised when your print disappeared before your eyes. Did you try to re-develop it? Would be nice to know how much would come back in such a situation. From what I see it's best to pull the print before it looks perfect as the effect continues fairly rapidly for a few more seconds before you can get it into a water bath. A bit like lith, in other words.

      Oh and good luck with the vaccine, mate. Is it a live one? Perhaps best not knowing that sort of detail and hope that the medical peeps know what they're doing ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Michael. The vaccine thing went well enough. I don't even know which one I did this time, but I know it was the last shot of one I had a couple of months ago. I did five different ones and totally lost track of what they put inside of me, but a couple of them were live stuff. I feel OK though, so let's just hope it stays this way :)

    I did not try to re-develop the well over bleached print as I was not aware at the time it even was a possibility to try save it that way to be honest. On the other hand I guess the print was not one for the wall anyway, so no big loss. It would of course be nice to know how it works with the re-developing process, but I guess we'll get a chance to find out in due time :)

    ReplyDelete