Monday 8 April 2024

Rookie Mistake (updated)

A couple of weekends ago we were in the City of Dreaming Spires, to give our daughter a little lift before her finals, which are approaching at the speed of a bullet train.  As my wife and I wandered around the city I was thinking to myself this could well be the last time we do this.  Next time we are there will most likely be for graduation - and that is probably going to be a quick-in-quick-out affair.  So I was making the most of it, complete with the M6, 28mm Elmarit and a bunch of HP5.  The icing on the cake was that as we passed by the entrance to All Souls College we noticed a sign saying 'Open to visitors'.  That was very unexpected, since mostly the colleges have signs stating 'Closed to visitors'.  So in we went.  Had a wee walkabout the front quad and marvelled at the interior of the Chapel.  I took a few snaps - glad I had the rangefinder since light was low and I was down around 1/15s, which is just about doable with the M6.

Fast forward to the weekend just past, when I developed the first of the films.  I knew there was something wrong when I saw the negs - too thin.  What had gone wrong?  Turns out I had somehow managed to load FP4 into an HP5 canister.  So not only was my exposure off but so was my developing time.  Rookie mistake - and one I have never done before.  But of course, it had to happen with an important film, didn't it.  Tried to print yesterday morning but it was pretty hopeless - this is about the best it got, taken from the inside Quad of All Souls, looking out towards the Radcliffe Camera:

Dreaming spires  

I've another film half-shot still in the camera, so I'm going to have to do a clip test and see if that too is FP4, or HP5 as I thought it was.  What a pain.

Update: Mystery solved.  I did the clip test, and good job I did as it too was FP4+ in an HP5+ canister.  So I developed the rest of the film for 17mins in HC-110, dilution B (1:31).  The negs look better, but I won't know for sure until I try to print from them.

I also did a clip test on the film inside my bulk loader.  That's where the problem lay.  The sticker on the top said HP5+ but inside was, you guessed it, FP4+.  How I didn't change the label I will never know - must have been half-asleep.  


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the mix-up in film and developing. I get very annoyed with myself for basic screw-ups like leaving the meter set to Spot and thinking it's on Matrix. Somewhere I have a roll of film marked 'Portra 400 - shot at 160'. Forgot to change the ISO setting on the Minolta . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know it's not just me then.

      I do that with films too - I came across one the other day with a sticker on it marked "1600; 8 shots". No idea what's on it. One day it might get developed and the mystery will be solved.

      Delete