Monday 7 November 2022

Derry Girls

Are you a fan of the show?  We watch it - well, my wife is a Derry Girl herself and I used to live and work in the city so we have to, really.  It's good and mostly we go along with it in spirit but as in so many comedies these days the language is a tad colourful, which puts us off.  A bit like that other Irish sitcom, Mrs Brown's Boys, which I can honestly say I've never watched an episode of - the first few minutes was enough for me.  I think the language thing is all too often used as a crutch for poor writing - when all else fails, throw in a few F's and sure that'll carry the scene.  Anyway, that's just my $0.02.

The big Derry Girls mural in the city is striking - you can't miss it when walking around the walls.  My niece duly posed for a shot, and through luck and perspective I managed to get her head more or less the same size as the drawn figures - all part of the plan, of course ;)

Derry Girls, plus new cast member, 2022.  HP5+ on Ilford MG Classic paper.


5 comments:

  1. Very well planned! I didn't make it past a few minutes of Mrs Brown's Boys either. I keep meaning to look at Derry Girls but never seem to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! Derry Girls isn't terribly subtle but it's watchable, if only for my wife and I to try to identify local landmarks. The recent one when they went on the train to Portrush to hit Barry's Amusements was good for that reason alone.

      Delete
  2. I started watching Derry Girls and was excited to see the Temple in the episode where they all take the train to Port Rush. It's a pretty funny show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nun has the best lines, I think.

      You can't miss the Temple - a cultural icon!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the nun was good. She said what every teacher probably thinks.

      Delete