Monday 12 October 2020

Running man (and dog)

Around the Spring and Autumn equinoxes we can get pretty big tides on Portstewart Strand.  I've been caught out a couple of times in the past, the result of which are very damp and soggy feet until I get home.   This guy and his dog had the right idea - keep away from the water's edge and keep moving:


Man and Dog, Portstewart Strand.  HP5+ on Ilford MGV paper.  The sun was out.  See? - we do get the sun from time to time.  Not usually for very long, of course...

As you can see, I wasn't taking any chances that day, since I was up on the dunes with the 'Blad when I snapped them up.  From being on the Strand pretty much every day for a few years (walking with The Hound) I rarely go now, which is not a good thing.  Apart from the exercise, a morning walk on the beach is pretty good soul food - a chance to get the cobwebs blown away and clear the head a bit from the chaos that's happening all around. I need to get back down there more often. The Hound had it right, of course - live in the moment.  

7 comments:

  1. Great composition and great light. Is the fence there as a high tide mark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have no idea why the fence is there, Marcus. The National Trust put it up a few years ago...perhaps it helps slow down erosion of the dunes (doubtful, though). It doesn’t stop kiddies running up and down the dunes as they just duck under. The fence only runs for the first couple of hundred metres - and the beach is at least a mile long. As far as I can see the fence is completely unnecessary - although it allows National Trust people to point to it as an example of all the excellent conservation and beach management they do...

      Delete
    2. Maybe they had some budget money to get rid of before the next year's budget. My German pen friend told me everyone in his wife's government office got iPhones for work one year because they needed to use up all their money. Wow.

      Delete
    3. I can believe the iPhone story. The waste in some (most?) large organisations is criminal. I once got a phone call from my Dean...he had an obscene amount of money to spend in, like, 24hours and needed ideas. I’m sure I was well down the list of people to call, too. When you think how many people that money could really help it’s a disgrace.

      Delete
    4. My university is asking employees to donate 1% of their salary to the university to support running costs. If the president sold the big fancy car Presidents's Car and set the driver to doing something else at the school they might save a bit of money.

      Delete
    5. Wow. That's a slippery slope! You have to admire the gall. 1% today, 2% next year...where does it end? I'd be more inclined to say Yes if it was a sliding scale based on salary - so those at the top (not the academics you can be sure) pay more.

      Delete
    6. They probably hope we will all come in as volunteers at some point.

      Delete