Monday 21 September 2020

Witches Hat

 I took the 'Blad for walk along Portstewart Prom a while back - this was one of the better shots.  Yer man in the foreground is helping his friend finish her tub of ice-cream.  As I've said before, I think it's the law that you have ice cream when in Portstewart.  There are a number of sellers, including the famous Morelli's, which has been on the Prom since 1927.   I'm not a huge ice-cream fan and neither is my wife but we're the odd ones out around these parts.


The Crescent at Portstewart, on MGV RC paper

The 'Witches Hat' bandstand is quite the thing, isn't it?  In the summer time you get all sorts happening there - preachers and bands and that sort of thing.  But its main purpose, it would appear, is to provide a handy shelter from the rain when it comes (as it inevitably does).  It can get a bit cosy in there at times!  Well, pre-COVID times, that is.

As you can see, unfortunately I had a rare process fail on this film - doubly annoying when there were one or two half-decent shots on it.  It was the very last bit of a 5l batch of ID-11 developer and by the look of things there must have been some undissolved particles in it, which I failed to notice.  It's the first time that's happened (to me) and if it happens again I'll consider switching to a developer that comes in liquid form.  But I'm used to ID-11 - it's pretty cheap and I like it for HP5+, so I'll stick with it for now.  

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had to Google that one, Jim - not a term I'm familiar with!

      Delete
    2. It's an American thing I guess, coined during our Prohibition period to describe people who drank alcohol despite the laws against it.

      Delete
  2. Too bad your developer gave you trouble. That is a well-framed and well-timed photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus. I think it might have ranked pretty high on my list - what with the sky & the timing. I’ll have to try again...

      Delete
  3. For HP5+ my developer of choice is HC-110. Semi Stand developing for approx 60 min

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about HC-110 although I've never tried it myself. It's good to have choices!

      Delete
    2. Indeed.
      For me HP5+ was always very tricky film to develop - to grainy, to flat or no contrast at all.
      HC-110 is good for me: liquid, good shelf life, great results, economical to use.

      Delete
    3. I'm reading good things about HC-110 and HP5. What dilution do you use? And what are you rating HP5 at? (With ID-11 1:1 I rate it at 200 or 250).

      Delete