Thursday 24 September 2020

The Sea, The Sea

 One taken a while back which I printed the other day - Portballintrae East Strand, on Foma 133 in lith developer:


The sea at Portballintrae.  Lith print, Foma 133 paper

The River Bush empties into the sea just behind where I was standing to take this shot.  That would be the River Bush of Bushmills Whiskey fame - the town of Bushmills is only a mile or so upstream from here.   Bushmills Whiskey's claim to fame is that it is the oldest licensed distillery in the world - with the emphasis on licensed, since whiskey, poteen and no doubt countless other spirits have probably been made since man learned to stand on two legs.  But still, 1608 is a fair number of years ago and there ain't many companies who have been trading that long.  It's a big tourist draw (being next door to the Giant's Causeway doesn't hinder, either).  I'm not a whiskey drinker but in my youth I would have taken the odd measure, although mostly in the form of a hot whiskey, which is a popular tipple here in the depths of winter.  My mother liked the odd hot whiskey if we happened to be out and about and I can remember her disappointment when in one hostelry, the barman didn't know how to make it.  Well, what can you expect - we were in England at the time.  Heathens, eh?!  But that didn't deter Mother, as she proceeded to tell the barman how to procced.  The classic version would have cloves in it, whiskey (obviously), perhaps a little sugar (optional) and boiling hot water.  The boiling part means you either need a good strong glass or you put a teaspoon in it to draw the heat and prevent the glass from cracking.  It's a very warming drink and slips down rather nicely, I recall - particularly when it's blowing a hooley outside and you're sitting in front of a roaring fire nicely protected from the elements. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is rather delicious, I have to admit. Much more palatable than neat whiskey - although I'm sure there are plenty who would disagree!

      Delete
  2. Thalatta! Thalatta! I bet Xenophon and gang would have been happy to get some of that hot whiskey at the end of their long walk.
    Nice photo. I really like the lith prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. I'm sure Xenophon and his men would have needed plenty of strong liquor to get them through their travails.

      I haven't done much lith lately but it's a welcome change from 'the norm'. It brings a certain something to the print that is rather nice, I agree.

      Delete