Thursday 10 September 2020

Thirsty morning in Dervock

This one was lurking inside the square-shooter for a while but it finally got to see the light of day.  We were driving through the village of Dervock a while back (July, I reckon, from the flags) and this scene caught my eye:


Thirsty Morning in Dervock.  Ilford MGV RC paper.

The North Irish Horse Inn must be affiliated to the very old yeomany unit of the British Territorial Army in Ireland of the same name - dating back to the Boer War, Wikipedia informs me.  The flags are out, no doubt, to celebrate the Twelfth of July Celebrations - the one on the right is the Ulster Banner, then although it's hard to see I think it must be a regimental flag next and then of course the Union Jack.  And then a plastic Tennents sign...Tennents being a pale lager type drink that is best left well alone if you ask me.

It wasn't the flags that caught my eye, of course - 'twas Yer Man's company car parked up outside the bar.  And as I got out to photograph it the woman sweeping the pavement behind it had to be captured too.  They're clearly very house-proud in Dervock and Why not, eh?  

Most people around here would instantly recognise the tractor as one of the Massey Ferguson stable (for it was the genius that was Harry Ferguson from County Down who invented the modern agricultural tractor, of course - and what a service to land workers everywhere that was.  Not only that - he was, apparently, the first person in Ireland to build&fly his own aeroplane and as if that wasn't enough for one man in one lifetime, he designed and built the first four-wheel-drive Formula One car.  The four-wheel drive system went on to be used in Range Rovers, I read).   I think that's a 135 parked up, but I can't be sure and I'm not country enough to know the numbers by sight - though believe me, there's many that can.  If the Agricultural Shows are on again in 2021 then expect a few more photographs of Massey Fergusons - assuming I'm living and spared, that is, and sure who can take anything for granted in these uncertain times...

Anyway, I hope he enjoyed his pint of the black stuff that morning in Dervock and that it 'set him up for the day', as folk would say around these parts - although I also hope he had a designated driver with him.  Sure there's worse things you could be doing with your time on this Earth than having a mid-morning sup in Dervock...

2 comments:

  1. I will say "no" for tasteless lager at all - including Tennents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's a very long time since I was in a pub but it seems that for the most part they have replaced 'flavour' with 'cold'. It's a shame, as there are plenty of nice ales around...just not here!

      Delete