Monday 4 November 2019

In the clink

Well that's not strictly accurate, since 'the Clink' was a prison in Southwark, England and this shot was taken in Bergamo, Northern Italy where I found myself last week for a short break with the family (it being half-term, y'see).

Old prison hospital, Bergamo, 2019.  HP5+ on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper.

As we wandered up the main drag (via Bartolomeo Colleonithere was a sign for a 'Flea Market' and we followed it, as both my wife and I usually love a good dig around such places - you never know what you might come across.  Downstairs was a bit disappointing, though - rails of clothes and some hand-made jewellery bits and pieces.  Neither really my thing, to be honest, but at the end of the hall was a sign for 'Experimental Art', leading up some very old stone steps.  I dithered a bit, as they looked a bit dodgy (no handrail, either) but in the end I ventured forth.  And it was a good decision. The steps led up to an old abandoned prison hospital.  Strangely, there wasn't much experimental art on display (none, except for a few not terribly impressive photographs) but the rooms were simply amazing to walk though.  Thankfully they hadn't renovated anything - it looked like it had just been opened up after years of lying empty.  Very sad it was, to think of the lives of the inmates that spend part of their lives living in those conditions.  I took a few shots and this was the first that I printed this morning.  I was a bit rusty in the darkroom but I was happy with this one. Others will follow.

Bergamo is a must-see, by the way.  I'm a sucker for anything old and Italian and slightly off-the-beaten-track and I have to say, this place is the real deal.  Even better as we could fly direct from our local airport.  At the other side it was a short bus ride to the old town (Citta Alta) and about a 3 minute walk to our hotel.  Couldn't really ask for an easier journey than that. 

5 comments:

  1. Great photo. Some of your 35mm film getting used?
    The Lack of Art was the experimental art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. Yup - since it was a family holiday I thought it would be better to take along a 35mm rather than the Hasselblad. It's from the Leica M6, 35mm lens.

      I had the same idea about the Experimental Art Work - if so, it sure worked a treat!

      Delete
    2. I suddenly remembered a French and Saunders sketch about art from way back. Slightly not safe for work (or sanity). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uFa9ts44

      Delete
  2. Wish I have ability to see photography abilities myself too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so easy, sometimes, I agree. I think it was Robert Adams, or Robert Frank who (later in his life, after considerable acclaim) said, 'They used to laugh at my photographs. Well, they're not laughing now...'

      Delete