Thursday 21 November 2019

Mettle testing

On our last full day in Bergamo last month it was a bit dull and damp.  Still warm, though - and as a result still quite pleasant.  The ladies in my life were having a lie-in but once I'm awake I usually get up, whatever time it is, so I took myself off for a dander.  The nice thing about being on my own is not having to feel guilty about my wife or daughter wondering when yer man is going to catch up.  That's not terribly fair, as they are both very supportive (and patient), but still, at times I'm sure their mettle is tested to the limit.

Bergamo, HP5+ on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper, light sepia tone

Looking down this street I was struck by how positively lovely it was, steeped in shadow, a bit dirty...and just so authentic. Pity the wires were crossing it but I couldn't do much about them.  I overprinted it by a good half a stop, maybe more, as I wanted to give it a light sepia tone.  The bleach stage brought it back to life and then a dunk in some very dilute sepia tone just lifted the grayness a little. It still maintains an air of mystery, which was the plan.

2 comments:

  1. The wire doesn't look out of place at all. And nothing compared to the nests and webs of wires you get in some old neighbourhoods in Seoul.
    Another great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Marcus. It’s interesting how each country has its own signature with regard to electricity&phone wires. Most other countries I visit seem much more haphazard than how we do it in the UK - but it sure makes for interesting scenes at times.

      There were a few scenes in Italy ruined (photographically speaking) by modern road signs. A shame they don’t do period signage or attempt to blend them with the centuries old buildings.

      Delete