Monday 14 October 2019

Mi'lady

My wife likes to browse Charity shops.  We've had a long association with a couple of Charities over the years but they can be strange places to work at times so now we've only one that we give any serious time and energies to.  That's OK - it's a good 'un and we're happy with things as they stand.  This was one of the many, many (too many if you ask me) artefacts that we have acquired from those places.  It's typical in that it's not perfect - if you look closely, she's lost the tip of her nose.  But that's OK - I like imperfection.  Hey! - Whatdoyamean, you know! 

Mi'lady, via the Sinar & FP4+ in RO9 printed on 8"x10" Warmtone fibre
I set the Sinar 4x5 up to capture her.  Plonked her on a small table and rigged up some black fabric to the read and right hand side.  Natural light was coming through the window on the left.  Came out OK, I thought, considering I've no idea about posing a still life object or lighting it or anything else much about indoor photography, come to that.  I have to say I enjoyed the experience - and perhaps for these wintery days that are approaching a bit too rapidly for my liking a few more Still Lifes might be just the ticket.

3 comments:

  1. You took so long to set up she fell asleep . . . . :)
    This is very nice. I don't know much about still life, either, but simple seems the best. You can screw up multiple flashes and reflectors, but you can't go wrong with using the sun. The imperfections in the statue make it more interesting.
    I'm not doing much with photography outside these days, so maybe I should start doing things like this. Or just more cat photos. If I can get the bugger to stay still . . . . He sleeps like the dead all day until a camera approaches. And then it's twist, flip, flop, yawn, shout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably fell asleep waiting for me to set the shot up...

      I'm a big fan of natural light, I rarely bother with flash. Correction, I never use flash.

      Cats are more difficult than the subject I chose for all the reasons you state, Marcus. At least dogs you've a chance of getting them to 'Sit' for a short time, anyway :) I think you're right - this sort of photography is good for those cold and wet wintery days.

      Delete
    2. I was about to say I never use flash, but that would be a lie. I sometimes use it when taking snapshots of friends and family inside. I set the camera to Auto mode and hope for the best. They usually come out fine because modern cameras are quite good at balancing the available light and the flash, avoiding the 'ghostly white face against a black background' look.

      Delete