Thursday 24 October 2019

Danny Boy

Well our Club judge, Danny, did the business on Monday night.  He seemed a very decent sort, older gentleman with plenty to say about every image and print, which I liked.  Some judges have a tendency to skirt over some images when they have very little to say about them and I don't think that's very fair to the photographer.  But Danny wasn't like that - he had a lot to say about each and every one.  Unfortunately with my non-existent hearing I wasn't able to ascertain what he was actually saying - though when it came to my prints maybe that was a good thing.  There are 3 categories - projected digital images, colour prints and B&W prints.  Obviously there's only one of those that I enter - and here's a not-very-good phone snap of one of my prints:


Rejected: Clouds over Inishown

Danny almost selected this one to go through...almost.  He kept coming back to it but in the end he preferred something else.  I asked my friend David what he was saying and the response came back that Danny liked my print, said it was 'a print like you would have seen back in the days of film'.  But that he thought the other print would have better success in the competition.  While that did make me smile I think he got it spot on with regard to the chances of success.  I was pretty OK with that, since when I go to the trouble of mounting a half-decent print I want it go on my wall, not disappear to goodness-knows-where and be handled by goodness-knows-whom and be returned with grubby finger marks all over it.  It's my precious, see...


3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about grubby finger marks. There's nothing worse than handing someone a print only to have them grab it like it's a restaurant menu. I like your photo, by the way. And I'm sure it looks a million times better than the snapshot you took.
    I didn't know you have bad hearing. I'm reading a novel by David Lodge at the moment called Deaf Sentence about a retired university professor who gets mixed up with a young American graduate student because he was too embarrassed to ask her to repeat herself at a party. I don't know what David Lodge's hearing is like, but he seems to have done a lot of research into the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcus. I’m never happy with phone shots of my prints - they just look awful. Scanning with my old Epson flatbed is best but once a print is mounted a phone shot is the only option.

    I’ve had poor hearing for years now and it’s got much worse recently. Most of the summer I’ve been completely deaf. It’s been very difficult for me and everyone around me...hard to stay sane at times. Things have improved this last couple of days so I’m tentatively hopeful that better times are ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Lodge is a very funny writer. I think he was (still is?) an academic as many of his books are based around academia. Anyone working in academia will recognise a lot of the characters & situations he writes about - in spite of how mad they must appear to outsiders.

      Delete