Thursday 4 July 2019

The Hole Man

That's what he calls himself, this artist, for reasons that will become abundantly clear.  Now I'm sure I'm not surprising anyone who reads this drivel by divulging the fact that I'm not a 16 year old girl - and therefore have little idea what thoughts and dreams run through the mind of such a person.  That aside, I'm more than a little surprised Missy let this guy anywhere near her, let alone when he's armed with a sharp implement.

But that's what she wanted - another piercing in her ear - so that's what she got.  I had the rangefinder with me to document the occasion but the battery has died so I had to guess the exposure and hope for the best.  Anyway, it was printable:

Missy about to be attacked, 2019.  HP5+ on Adox MCC paper

An interesting character, the Hole Man.  He looks the part with more ink and piercings than your average dude in this part of the world.  Perhaps surprisingly, the walls of his studio are covered with Christian symbols and passages from the bible - you can probably make out the Ten Commandments on the wall there.  I think it's fairly safe to say he's not your average Church-goer in this neck of the woods either...

6 comments:

  1. Great exposure for a guess. And great framing. I can manage without a light meter in the great outdoors, but I don't have any experience judging exposure under artificial light. I just get out the iPhone and let it do all the work . . .
    The Hole Man looks like an interesting character indeed. I bet he has some interesting stories to tell. I like Missy's eyebrows.
    A friend and I went to the mall when we were university students and got the $10 piercing special that came with a free pair of earrings. The girl working at the stall agreed to do one ear on each of us instead of charging us each ten Dollars. I thought my father would be really unhappy about it, but my mother was the one who went spare when I told them on the phone. "What's wrong with you?! You going weird or something?!?!?!" Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Marcus - I got lucky with the exposure. I try not to think about it too much at the time - I go with my first instinct and hope for the best. The framing worked well, I agree. I remember at the time seeing all those lines and wondering what might work. Given the situation a straight shot seemed inappropriate ;)

      I can just imagine your mother's reaction to your $5 ear job. I'm guessing it was a while ago and she was probably worried about what the neighbours/family might think - as well as Whether or not you were going off the rails and hanging with the wrong sort of people. Hopefully her fears were allayed in due course...

      Delete
    2. I got weirder and emigrated to South Korea. Poor Mom . . .

      Delete
  2. Now that's a great snap for a million reasons! Everything in there is just totally out of place, but still fits in like a hand in a glove. The technical stuff is one thing, with something that seems to be a perfect exposure and all that, but the story inside is just of another world.
    My youngest daughter wanted another piercing as well... and then another one, and probably one or two more as well for all I know. I think some of them are being moved around a bit, because sometimes there seems to be more, and other times far less. Most often there seems to be more, of course.
    The Hole Man seems to be quite a character for sure... perfectly lined up in relation to the mirror and that dark line stretching through the image. And then there's the little beauty down in the corner with all that black hair filling the entire lower right part of it all. Perfectly put together my friend, and thank goodness for not holding the camera anywhere even close to level :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - appreciated. When I see this again, I think I need to simply *take more shots* and not think too much about them at the time. This one worked out well, I think.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we should lift that little shooter up to the eye a little bit more often for sure. I'm usually not sitting or standing very far from one, and I'm usually quite good at picking one up to bring with me wherever and whenever I go. I'm not quite the film waster I could have been though, and that might be something to try put right.

      Delete