Monday 8 April 2019

Summer's here (?)

Under a bit of pressure this weekend due to Club work - and garden work, since Saturday was a rather pleasant day.  We even got the BBQ out for the first time this year, which is always a good feeling.  And the other big news was the first sighting of a swallow on Saturday afternoon, which was very early compared to the last couple of years (early May).  I doubt that means that summer is really here yet - it was pretty cold again yesterday. 

Anyway, here's an old one for you, from Positano last year but now mounted, ready to go into tonight's club competition.  Not that it will be placed or win or anything like that - I realised a while ago that my prints are just there to make up the numbers.  That's OK - actually that's more than OK, otherwise I might start getting a little worried.  It'll be the only darkroom print there, which is a little disappointing.  But...in the last couple of months two members have gone out and acquired a film camera from the Auction Site, so you never know what the future might bring...

Window in Positano

I say 'ready' but it's not quite.  There are a couple of marks on the print near the top right, as you can see.  This is a result of leaving it too long in the dry mount press - way too long.  I can safely say that I've learnt that lesson, by the way. So I need to get the old Spotone out and try to fix it up as best I can.  Patience and a steady hand are required...hmm.

4 comments:

  1. It's a lovely print, mate! Nah... we don't have a snowballs chance in a certain place to go ahead and win stuff as long as the thing isn't properly dyed in ink and whatevermore, but then again it might just as well happen one day for what we know. And maybe the day is actually closing in on one of us, at least by the looks of it from over here in the big blue on the other side. Prints tends to look quite a bit different in the real world as we should know well enough by now, so I put my bet on it even before I see the other ones.
    A bit daft to say actually... but I did it anyway.
    Oh, and I have been on the blog again for a few moments. It might sound like nothing you would believe in, but it's actually a true story :)
    Good luck with the print, Michael. It looks really great with wonderful tones and everything in it's right place. Pity about the marks, but I'm sure you'll manage to fix them up quite well. And then again it's not exactly the end of the world if it's not possible :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - I actually had a taste of glory for a change. The print of Portballintrae from the other day got me a Third Place. It made a nice change and secretly I thought it might do OK since it's more or less a straight landscape and that's the sort of thing they like ;)

      The print here got 5th or something, but then I had to enter it in the colour section so it was always going to be a struggle. That's OK.

      You back writing? That I must check out - it's been a while and the Internet has been a poorer place because of it. Good stuff - and I'm off there now to take a read ;)

      Delete
    2. Uh... colour, heh? It's a monochrome print I'd say, but maybe someone got other ideas about that since there are hints of other colours in there? Well, I'm not going to start a big rant about it, but I'd say it's clearly not a colour snap!
      So you had a third place as well? That's not too bad after all. Depends a bit on the competition of course, but there you go. Congrats, anyway :)

      Delete
  2. Well you're right, of course, Roy - it's very far from being a colour print ;) But we were short of colour entries and so it was thrown in that pile to make up the numbers a bit. I didn't mind - it was another example of a darkroom print to show the folks - they don't get to see too many of those these days, good or bad ones!

    ReplyDelete