Thursday 11 April 2019

New Topographics

I gave a short talk to the Club the other day on one of my favourite photographers - Robert Adams.  He came to light in the 70s with the New Topographics movement - he worked in Colorado, big open plains and skies and not much else.  For some reason his work really speaks to me - he is a master at visual story-telling, in my eyes anyway.  And he's pretty handy with the old words, too. You can read about him here (it's a long post but a good one).

Anyway, I had my New Topographics hat on the other day when I went off around the coastal towns of Portstewart and Portrush.  About half-way between the towns this scene jumped up and found its way through an orange filter and inside the 'Blad and onto a small square of HP5+:

Portrush.  On Adox MCC paper, straight print

It's still wet, as you can see.  That's 'cos it was printed about 5 minutes ago, which makes this post about as up-to-date as it can be.

3 comments:

  1. The light and the clouds were helping you out that day. Beautiful photo. The centre line is 2/3 houses and 1/3 hill, which gives me the impression that these dwellings are a natural part of the landscape. I think that's helped by the absence of power lines and utility poles, which always make a lanscape seem stitched up after people have cut a road or development through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Marcus - appreciate the comments. I think the layout and lines of the houses and the landscape caught my eye too. Surprisingly for this part of the world the whole thing is rather aesthetically pleasing, almost organic.

      I drove past this area the other day again and was surprised to see the scene had changed dramatically. The foreground area is part of the pits for the Annual North West 200 motorbike race, which takes place in May. So this whole area is in the process of being transformed - everywhere is cordoned off by 10 foot high metal fences. It'll be another 2 months before everything is returned to normal as you see it here.

      Delete
    2. I guess that will attract lots of photographers with long and fast lenses trying to get some action shots. I always walk in the opposite direction of an event. Staring at rocks for ten minutes looking for a decent composition is more my style.

      Delete