Monday 4 February 2019

In the pits

One from The Archives.  This one you might have seen before, but not in printed form.  Taken in 1977 during a walkabout in 'The Pits' at the North West 200 Motorcycle Road Race, which happens around these parts every May.

The bike belonged to Kevin Stowe - the clue is his name sign-written on the fairing :)  He had a low number so was one of the elite racers of the day.  Nowadays I don't think you can get near the bikes in the pits.

I like the boy stood in awe at the machine - dressed as he is in his Sunday best.  But I also like the guy on the right - the one with the pipe.  He looks the part, all sophisticated and man-of-the-world like - until you notice his umbrella tied with a piece of string.  But that’s what life was like here in the 70s - no-one had anything, really.  Plus he would have needed the umbrella, naturally, since we're talking May in The Liberties - anything can fall from the skies (and usually does).

In the pits at the NW200.  Snapped in 1977, printed in 2019.  Adox MCC paper 9.5"x12"

Kevin Stowe, by the way, was seriously injured a couple of years later in an accident at the North West - the one I captured here.  He never rode again.  Many others didn't to get make that decision - it doesn't take many prisoners, Irish Road Racing.

7 comments:

  1. The man with the umbrella looks like Christopher Hitchens. Except Hitchens would have a fag stuck in his mouth instead of a pipe. And probably a glass of whisky in his hand instead of an umbrella. And he probably wouldn't be in a pit . . . . oh, never mind . . . . :)
    Sunday best, ugh. I remember the awfully uncomfortable slacks and shirts I had to wear before being forced to go to Sunday School and Church every Sunday morning. Of course, that fashion is all the rage amongst hipsters these days . . . .
    Great photo! I like seeing little bits of life from other countries, especially those in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus - appreciated. I like looking at these old shots, too - the clothes, the hair...

      Ah the joys of Sunday School and those long, boring Church sermons. The suffering! Thankfully when I got a bit older I was allowed to choose whether to go or not - most times I chose not, unsurprisingly. My uncle, when he got to a certain age, voted with his feet and more than once upped and left during the service. He couldn't abide the 'dumbing down' of the Biblical texts - he wanted to be intellectually stimulated. Much to the acute embarrassment of my Aunt, it should be added - who felt she had to apologise for her brother's actions as she hastily followed him down the aisle and out of the Church.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha. Good on your uncle. Sorry about the aunt, though. I had to attend church until I was 17 and then I was given my choice when my mother came to my room one Saturday to say
      "You're old enough to decide if you wants to go to church or not now, Marcus."
      "Okay. Good."
      "Are you going to church tomorrow?"
      "Are you mad?"
      "Whhhyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!"

      Delete
  2. I have watched a few road racing events myself as well, but I've never ever witnessed "The Real Thing" as in the NW200 or the TT on the Man. I really think it is about time, to be honest...! I can't make it this year, but hopefully I'll be home from the sea for next years events. Either one of them would do :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about as mad a thing as a human being can do, Roy - travelling at 200mph on two wheels on public roads with a few others little more than inches away from you. And of course I don't need to say if you come for the NW200 then you know what to do and who to contact ;) It would be a memorable week, for sure my friend.

      Delete
  3. Do you have any more of my good friend Kev Stowe anything Kev related would be appreciated Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I may well have more photos of your friend - in those days I loved photographing the bikes. I’ll have a dig around and see. I’m away from home at the moment so it’ll be a few weeks before I get to it but leave it with me.

      Delete