Monday 11 February 2019

Benchmark

OK so it's just a bench - probably with a few marks on it, though. One I snapped a while back on a wander around the grounds of Musgrave Park Hospital in Belfast.  It's the bone hospital in Northern Ireland - caters for anyone with joint problems of any description.  MPH has an interesting history - it has always been a bone hospital but was also an Army hospital during The Troubles.  As a result it became a place with a world-class reputation for joint reconstruction.  It would be pushing the boundaries to say At least some good came out of those 30-odd years of strife, but perhaps the surgeons and nurses of MPH might come close to the top of that very short list.

It's where I had my last hip replacement performed about 8 years ago and every so often I go back for an X-Ray and check-up.  I nearly always end up having some time on my hands between consultations so like to wander around the grounds with a camera of some sort.  On this occasion it was the Nikon, most likely with the Vivitar 35-85mm zoom attached.  I liked the shapes and shadows on this bench but I was squeezed up against a wall trying to get the shot I wanted.  Probably a 28mm would have been the ticket, but there's never one around when you need it...

Bench at Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast.  HP5+ on Adox MCC paper.

7 comments:

  1. All it needs is a bum to make it complete. A rear-end, I mean. Not a homeless person.
    Have staff ever asked why you're making photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I'd brought a tripod I could have used the self-timer :)

      No-one ever bats an eyelid, Marcus. I get the odd funny look but as long as I'm not taking photographs inside the hospital no-one seems to mind - so far, anyway.

      Delete
    2. I bought a Manfrotto element tripod a couple of weeks ago. I got the aluminium version which is light and cheap. Even without the centre column extended it's near about eye level with a camera on it. It folds up very small. Maybe the best tripod I've ever bought? For a small camera, anyway. But maybe any tripod is more trouble than it's worth for a trip to the hospital.

      Delete
    3. I use a tripod very, very occasionally. Unless you’re using slow speeds or printing really big is it worth it, do you think?

      Delete
    4. Even if I have a good shutter speed I find it useful for making and holding very careful compositions when I'm at an historical site or something. I don't carry it with me unless I'm going somewhere for the purpose of making photos.

      Delete
  2. There's never a 28mm around any time, to tell you the truth! I got "a million" lenses, but nothing between 21 and 35 I think... and that's a bit odd actually. Oh... sorry, I got a fair few 24mm's for the Nikons, but none 28's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've the 28mm equivalent for the 'Blad and it's a very usable length. Strangely I've none for the 35mm systems - that might have to be rectified ;)

      Delete