Monday 5 November 2018

Power Crazy

I snapped these lines up in Lincoln Park, on the North Side of Chicago.  I'm sure there's a plan in there somewhere, but I couldn't see it:

Power Lines, Lincoln Park, Illinois 2018.  Ilford Fibre Classic paper.

It’s pretty much the same around The Brothers House in Oak Park and I’m not sure why - the wires look like they’ve been done by about 20 different companies and so there’s no sense of uniformity or that anyone’s in charge here but it seems to work (most of the time) so What do I know? I’m guessing that when there’s a problem or a new connection to be established some Joe comes along, takes a look and thinks ‘Jeez I ain’t sortin that lot out’. He just gets the job done that’s he’s paid to do and gets the hell out...and adds to the general confusion.

9 comments:

  1. Now that I think of it I don't remember whether I ever saw an exposed power line anywhere in Ireland. It's really common in the States to run them on poles like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we have plenty of power lines & poles Jim but nothing as messy as this. It helps being small - population of Northern Ireland is less than 2 million and we have one company responsible for all the electrical infrastructure. And nothing like the commercial activity in Chicago so I guess things don’t change that much from year to year.

      Delete
  2. I think you've done a great job of organising the chaos with your framing. If power lines are something you like to photograph, come to Korea. In some Seoul back streets you can hardly see the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. Seoul sounds like a great place visit, photographically speaking at least! And...I look forward to seeing more of S Korea on your blog when the time is right for you to post again. Photo blogs are a good way of reminding me that not everywhere looks the same. Well, not that I need reminding of that, per se - more that the things I take for granted in this part of the world are maybe of interest to others.

      Delete
    2. I'm posting every Saturday at marcuspeddle.blogspot.com. I gave up Wordpress because I wasn't happy with formatting and a hundred Dollars a year is a lot of money.

      Delete
    3. Oh I'm very happy to hear that, Marcus! I was looking at cyclopsfotoman and noticed you hadn't posted since June. So...I shall catch up with you on marcuspeddle.blogspot.com instead :)

      Delete
    4. Oops. I thought I deleted cyclopsfotoman. I'll have to check that out. I'm glad you mentioned it.

      Delete
  3. Just been to Trinidad, as you know. Looks like they only got one power company on the island, but still they manage to create something that to an engineer looks like a complete chaos. They keep the copper mines busy, at least...
    And hey, they make a great opportunity for us to create great snaps as well, obviously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy. For some reason your description of Trinidad does not altogether surprise me. But it would be a dull world if things were the same everywhere and as you say, always good for a snap or three

      Delete