Thursday 8 November 2018

Montrose Beach, Illinois

This was a tough call, exposure-wise, given that there was a wide subject brightness range, from the shadow cast by the tree to the brightness of the late afternoon sky.  That - and the fact that I was using the 'blad and only the light meter between my ears.  It wasn't easy to print and I've a feeling that there's a better print in there somewhere but this is the best I got the other day in the darkroom:

Montrose Beach, Lake Michigan, Illinois, 2018

As you can see it’s cropped from the 6x6 format. I  I cropped to a 2:3 aspect ratio (like 35mm), which seemed to fit the composition better. It's on Ilford Fibre Classic paper which has a lovely look about it.  This one was toned in sepia.

To get the print into digital format for this place, I did what I normally do and scanned it.  I use a fairly old Epson 4870 scanner and the standard Epson Scan software, set to 48-bit colour and 300dpi, which gives me a file about 50Mb in size (!) from a 9.5"x12" print.  (I always do a preview scan first and then the full scan but I don't check histogram or other stuff).  But then I sat at the computer and looked at the scanned image and compared it to the print.  Well, there is no comparison - the print is always sooo much richer, deeper, nicer.  I know, I know, it's a dumb thing to do but I was surprised by how poor the scan was.  The problem may not be down to the software settings alone (or at all) - the scanner is A4 size and a 9.5”x12” print is slightly too large to sit flat on the glass.

Anyway, I took the print into a room where the weak winter sun was coming through the window, set the print up and snapped it using my phone.  Then I brought it into Photoshop on the desktop machine and already it was looking better.   That's the image you see at the top of this page. Here is the scan:

Same print, scanned.

I left these deliberately on the large side, by the way, so as to make full screen comparisons a little more authentic.  Apologies if you're viewing these on a dial-up modem...

There's a real difference - to my eyes, on my monitor. I must admit I was surprised, as I thought that the scanning would have been the better way to go.  And yes, I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I could do to make the scan better but as I've said elsewhere, I've no real interest in scanning other than to get the print into some sort of digital form.  So for now, it looks like a phone shot of the print is the best way to go to share my masterpieces on the Interweb ;)

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating that the mobile shot looks so much better. Makes me wonder if print reproduction would be even better with a quality DSLR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cameras on phones are pretty good in themselves, Jim - plus it’s dead easy to upload an image to anywhere.

      Delete
  2. I must agree, Michael. Scanning prints are not at all easy, and mine always looks, well... no good at all. A quick snap with the phone seems to be just as good, and a lot easier.
    It's a really nice exposure in that not exactly ideal situation looking at the light conditions you had to work with. It really pleases me to see your in-between-ears light meter working very well indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Roy. And a very timely comment, as I find I have slipped into bad habits and am...scanning again. I find I get this warm colour cast with my phone snaps which is most annoying and needs fixing in software which kind of defeats the purpose of making this whole blogging thing quick and easy. Anyway, as we know (!) all we can do is try to convey something of the depth of tone and detail in a real silver print to pixels which is always going to be a Big Ask...

      Delete