Monday 26 November 2018

Jessica

I’m writing this entry on Sunday evening whilst lying on the floor, just in case you were wondering. I lie on the floor most evenings, not just Sundays - it’s good for my aching bones. Today I spent all morning in the darkroom with Jessica.  I should perhaps explain that Jessica was one of two models our Photographic Club hired last Tuesday evening for a photo-shoot. I’m really not a studio photographer - hardly know one end of a flashgun from the other, truth be told - so I was way out of my comfort zone.  Everyone else was urging these off-camera flash triggers on the hot shoe of their pixel-snappers and doing lots of 'chimping'.  I brought the NikonFM3a and an old Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm lens. I had to sharpen the elbows to get anywhere near Jessica but I got a couple of shots. Here’s one, not quite dry&flat and therefore expertly held up by Missy, complete with fresh nail polish:

Jessica

I was rating HP5+ at 3200asa and just using what light there was without the studio flashes that were available.  There wasn’t much, mind you, but I was primarily interested to see what HP5 at this speed looks like - any decent shots would be a bonus.  But I screwed up a bit with RO9 at the developer stage. The MassiveDevChart app on my phone suggested 18mins@21 degrees for 3200asa but only 12mins at 20 degrees for 1600asa.  That seemed like a heck of a difference so I chickened out and stopped developing at 16mins (21 deg). That, my friends, was an error of judgment  - the negs were under-cooked.

Not only that, my focussing was off and nothing was sharp. But hey, since when did that matter? Times like this only one thing for it - lith, and hope for the best. In the first print the skin tones were way too dark so I reduced the exposure by a full stop. The second print is what you see above. Well - after a quick dip in PotFerri just to add a little something.

9 comments:

  1. The great thing about sharing images on a blog is that you can make them small enough that any sharpness problems aren't apparent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I was surprised at my ability (lack of) to nail the focus in the light available, the end result is pretty much as I intended. The Vivitar is very soft wide open and that’s the effect I was looking for, so I was pretty happy with the way the print turned out.

      Delete
  2. If it's out of focus and poorly exposed, it's art! Joking aside, it looks good from this end of Eurasia.
    I was once in a photo class, but as the students started switching to digital I got edged out. The teacher used to put his light box on the table and we would all look at each other's slides. But he eventually started bringing a laptop to class and hooking it up to a digital projector. I didn't have a way to scan my film at the time so I had to resort to asking him at the end of class to have a look. I eventually started using a digital camera for class, but then I left for other reasons.
    Now and then the class would pay to go to nude or half nude sessions at a local beach, but there were too many creepy old men there so I stopped going. "Spread your legs more! Yeah . . . " I wish that were an exaggeration of things they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Marcus! :) I wanted something different to all the digital shooters. I’ve always been interested in soft focus, out of focus shots - some of the great photographs of celebrated photographers have been anything but sharp! I really don’t get this obsession with sharpness these days - I suspect it’s a something to do with looking at images on a screen, as opposed to a print in the hand.

      Your photo class modelling sessions sound very creepy. I would feel very uncomfortable in that situation - I just wouldn’t go anywhere near that. I think to get the best out of a model you need to make some connection - both parties need to feel at ease. Jessica was super - very natural and made us all relax (for the record all models kept their clothes on).


      Delete
  3. It just came to me that Jessica looks similar to that woman from the Firefly television series. The one that the captain fancied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not familiar with Firefly. I’ll take a look. Some people are naturally photogenic - Jessica is, for sure.

      Delete
  4. Well, it's another one of your very nice portraits for sure, Michael. And I think you are very much right about the sharpness thing. You see it happen all the time people take a shot and press a button at the back of their camera to zoom in to 100%, checking the focus around the eyes, and then they delete or keep or whatever they do with all their snaps.
    Me, I'm happy if it looks somewhere half close to sharp on a 8x10 paper. Some of my very best ones are very much out of focus by the way...
    I would love to do a photo shoot with a pro model at some point, just to see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really interested in studio work or posed models but I did enjoy this session enormously. I can see how it can get under your skin. Most of the guys in the club who are into this have their own little studio setup in a spare room and every so often they get a model in for them and maybe a fellow snapper. I think that's probably the best solution - sharing space with 10 other club members wasn't ideal...

      Delete
    2. Nah! I've tried that (the ballerina shots, for instance) and it's just horrible. You need sharp elbows for sure if any great snaps are to be taken at such events. Well... I'm never going to get a studio on my own, I know that much.

      Delete