Saturday 13 October 2018

Opera Society, Italian style

As we wandered aimlessly around the back streets of Sorrento we happened upon the place you see in the print below.  A gated courtyard in very grand style, the plaque on the wall indicated an Operatic Society - perhaps Opera lovers, or singers/actors?

Operatic Society, Sorrento
Whatever it was, I got the impression that it wasn't the sort of place tourists would be welcome to just wander into, so I did the decent thing and moved on.  Not before getting a couple of shots in, though :)  Foma paper, lith.

4 comments:

  1. It looks like a scene from the early twentieth century or perhaps the late eighteenth century. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus. It was the sort of setting that made me think, Yes, I could be content here for an hour or two :) I haven't been to Italy that much but every so often there's a scene like this which makes you more than a little in awe of the artists and craftsmen and women there must have been.

      Delete
  2. I really love the atmosphere in this shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy it kind of seemed a little surreal at the time, truth be told....but I knew it had to be photographed :)

      Delete