Monday 28 August 2023

The Headington Shark

Down an very ordinary side street in Headington, Oxford, resides what is perhaps the second most famous shark in the world:

Pentax Spotmatic, 28mm Takumar; FP4+ on Foma 133 paper.

The correct name for this protest art sculpture is Untitled 1986 and it was created in response to the bombing of Libya by American planes who took off from a nearby military airfield in Upper Heyford, the shark being used as a metaphor for falling bombs.  Originally Oxford City Council tried to have it taken down (firstly on grounds of safety and then as planning permission wasn't sought) but I read last year that now it wants to make the sculpture a heritage site for its 'special contribution' to the community. Quite right, too - although the house owner pointed out that 'using the planning apparatus to preserve a historical symbol of planning law defiance is absurd'.  

Sharks aside, summer is drawing to a close and our guests have all returned from whence they came, so I was actually able to get into the darkroom the other day.  I was rusty, but it was enjoyable to see the images appear on the paper again - the old magic is hard to beat.

4 comments:

  1. I think I've seen photos of that shark before. Was it hard to print because of the contrast between the dark houses and the light sky?
    The most famous shark is Jaws, I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I did burn in the sky a little. It can be tricky to get that right - it's easily overdone (or underdone). I was guessing the exposure, as the meter doesn't work in the Pentax and I didn't bring a meter. The sunny-16 rule worked OK - I think I opened up two stops as it was overcast. FP4 is quite forgiving, plus I get great results developing it in Ilfotec HC. I haven't yet found the Holy Grail for HP5+...I get OK negs with HC, but nothing as easy to print as with FP4.

      You got it ;)

      Delete
  2. I love this! It's so improbable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly catches your eye as you walk past!

      Delete