Thursday 10 August 2023

Still life and Triumph motorcycles

I've nothing new to show so am re-visiting some oldies that caught my eye as I looked through my prints from the last few years.  This was a still life you might recall - either on the Sinar or the 'Blad, though most likely the 'Blad as it's square.  Some old artefacts I discovered in the shed of our old house:

Natural light coming from the right of the shot. 
I think I had a reflector set up just out of shot on the left.

I recall working hard to the get a balanced composition, as well as trying to fill the frame.  If you look closely, you'll see the date on the calendar is 1943.  Who knows why the calendar was stuffed in a drawer and kept all those years, but I'm really glad it was.  The empty packet of Woodbine I rescued from an old fishing bag of my grandfathers - he was the Woodbine smoker, not my father.  I think he kept some fishing flies in it, same as the tin of tobacco.  The rest of the stuff on the table were bits and pieces my father had, presumably to service his motorbike.  He had a lovely old Triumph 500C with a coal-scuttle fairing.  I have a shot of it somewhere...hang on, I'll see if I can find it.

Here we go:

My father and his beloved Triumph, sometime in the 1970s
My Dawes bicycle in the background.


3 comments:

  1. I am also posting old photographs because I have nothing new. Too hot and humid to be outside.
    That's quite the motorcycle. Was it for racing? Or did people in the seventies just think that was a good look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind on my reading of other blogs, Marcus. I hope to rectify that soon.

      It was quite the motorcycle. It took my dad around Europe on more than one occasion when he was a bachelor. He sold it when he married my mum...and then a few years later bought it back. He still rode it regularly until his health deteriorated. He took me on the back of it a few times in my late teens, an experience I found pretty terrifying at the time.

      Delete
    2. I don't like being on the back of motorcycles either. I always feel I'm going to fall backwards or tip over.

      Delete