Monday 12 June 2023

In the city

So there I was, wandering around the city of Oxford a couple of weeks ago with an old Pentax Spotmatic and a 28mm f/3.5 lens attached, FP4+ loaded.  Anywhere around the Bodleian is usually a good shout and I caught it lucky when I lifted the camera to frame this scene - the couple appeared in the doorway right on cue and I tripped the shutter as quickly as I could.  


On Foma 133 paper.

I had grand ideas of wandering around the city most of the week while Missy was at work or in Uni, but in the end I only had one good day out with the camera - the first full day I was there.  The rest of the week was very overcast and as I said somewhere else, quite cold at times.  I had checked the forecast before I left and was promised full sun and high temperatures, so I'd only packed short sleeved shirts.  Mistake!  I ended up having to buy a jacket thing to keep warm.  Between that and the exceedingly dull light I had no appetite for any more camera work.  Plus I was pretty wrecked after the travelling and helping my daughter to move into her new digs for the summer.  She has a lot of stuff.  Must be a girl thing. 

4 comments:

  1. When I was at university a billion years ago, Dad said, "if it doesn't fit in the car, you can't take it with you." Our car at the time was a Renault Alliance, which was sold over the pond as the Renault 9 -- quite a small car! It made me be very thoughtful about what I brought with me and what stayed behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to sound like that Monty Python sketch here but Eh Jim lad, you were lucky! I went to Uni in England, so it was two suitcases for me. And no wheelie cases in those days either! Sometimes I flew to London (on a standby ticket, so no guarantee of a seat, and usually a wait of a good few hours as well) but quite a few times it was the ferry to Stranraer in Scotland and then a very long train journey to the south west of England (Bath). I couldn't do it now, that's for sure!

      Kids today...so spoilt :)

      Delete
    2. I had to live in a single suitcase next to the student centre bins when I was at uni. And that was shared with three other students! I could only dream of a second suitcase.

      Delete
    3. Haha. Now stop that, it's getting too silly already :)

      Got to love a bit of MP now and again. Wonderful stuff.

      Delete