Monday 9 May 2022

Moville

The busy little town of Moville, in Donegal, lies on the banks of Lough Foyle.  It's more of an estuary thank a lough, as it's where the River Foyle enters the Atlantic - and it's a pretty wide estuary in places.  There's a rather pleasant shore-line walk you can do, and I've done it several times but we didn't have the legs for it this time around.  This was as close as I got to the water's edge last week:

Moville, looking over the lough towards Binevenagh.  FP4+, HC-110 on MG Classic fibre paper.  The sky and front of the building got a little burn-in, as did the left bottom corner.  The sky on the right hand side of the print could probably take a little more, to balance things out better.


I was about to write that the hall used by the 18th Donegal Moville Port Sea Scout Group looks like it once was a Church Hall but then I spotted the compass and set square near the top of the building, which would indicate it was a Freemasonry Hall.   Perhaps it still is and it's shared with the Sea Scouts.  Are there still Freemasons in Moville?  I have no idea...


2 comments:

  1. Monty Python has a film on how to spot a Freemason. Perhaps that will help.
    Looks like a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a vague memory of trouser legs being rolled up in that sketch :)

      When my Uncle passed, he left a load of Masonic gear - aprons, medals, notebooks. I've looked through the books and there ain't half some theatre going on at those meetings, particularly when a new guy joins, or is promoted. Quite surreal.

      Delete